Name:
Location: Barstow, California

Retired military, still working, 3rd marriage and I feel I got it right this time.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Holdem Time

Professional poker player I am not, but, the World Poker Tour(WPT) weekly program on the Travel Channel put the bug in my head. So after watching two seasons of WPT I finally gave in to my curiosity.
I started with play money only on a site called PokerStars.net in April, 2005. I wanted to play No Limit Texas Holdem and I found a variety of games available on this website, including Texas Holdem. The site starts you out with $1000.00 play money, and will resupply you when you run low. It seemed like a perfect starting place to me.
I started to play in an area of the site called "Sit & go". This is a site where you commit a portion of your play money to a poker game pitting you against other players, from 9 to 45 players depending on the selection you make from a list of available games posted.
I was successful with my play money experiences so much that I opened a real money account with PokerStars.com in May, 2005. I registered with an internet financial site and arranged for $50 to be deposited in my PokerStars account. Enough to test the waters, but, won't break my bank account.
I started playing the 45 player $1.20 buy-in multitable game, where, $1.00 goes to the prize fund and $0.20 goes to the house. The game pays the top 7 finishers from $14 to the Winner, to$2 to the 7th place winner. It took me about 2 weeks to finish in the money. It appeared that winning real money games was not as easy as winning play money games.
By the end of 2005 I was averaging about 50 No Limit Texas Holdem games per month and was now playing the 18 player $1.75 buy-in multitable games. My in the money finishes were not able to sustain my PokerStars real money account, so, I had to replenish my account periodically. Online poker wound up costing me about $30 per month in 2005 and that is much less than the cost of a trip to Las Vegas each month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home